Scott J. Harris is a dedicated attorney focused on defending professionals and businesses against State governmental agencies. Mr. Harris is a former Deputy Attorney General with the California Department of Justice, where he represented many of the licensing agencies of the California Department of Consumer Affairs, and the People of the State of California. Scott J. Harris served as the Liaison Deputy for the Licensing Section of the Office of the Attorney General to the California Board of Accountancy, and the Court Reporters Board of California, and prosecuted hundreds of cases involving professional licensing discipline, license applications (Statement of Issues), petitions for reinstatement, administrative appeals, and appeals by Writ of Mandamus in the California Superior Court. Scott J. Harris also has experience in general business and personal civil litigation in California State Court and has represented clients in State criminal court proceedings.
Combining his experiences, Mr. Harris aims to serve clients in Administrative Law and Professional License Defense matters. As someone who has spent many years first prosecuting, and now vigorously defending, licensed professionals and businesses, he understands every phase of the license defense process and the different types of cases, hearings, violations and appeal options that exist.
Mr. Harris is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Loyola Law School, Los Angeles where he focuses on Administrative Law and Appellate Advocacy (Moot Court), and he has been named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers, Southern California for seven consecutive years (2012 – 2018). In 2020, he was selected to the 2020 Southern California Super Lawyers List, and for the second year in a row was named a Top Lawyer by Pasadena Magazine.
Scott J. Harris is a graduate of the esteemed Johns Hopkins University of Baltimore, Maryland, and obtained his law degree from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, California.
Scott J. Harris serves as a committee member to the Paralegal Advisory Committee of the Los Angeles City College, as a coach to the Loyola Law School Environmental Moot Court and the Loyola Law School Williams Institute LGBT Moot Court Teams, and is a former participant of the California Department of Justice’s National Institute of Trial Advocacy program.
Scott J. Harris is the Chairman of the Pacific-Southwest Regional Board (and immediate past Vice-Chairman) and an Associate National Commissioner of the Anti Defamation League (ADL), one of the world’s preeminent civil rights organizations. He has been an active Board Member for several years, and is the former Co-Chairman of the Glass Leadership Institute, ADL, Southern California Region.
To learn more about Scott J. Harris, his law practice, and the ways he may be able to assist you and your family, please contact S J Harris Law and attorney Scott J. Harris.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Los Angeles City College, Member,
- Paralegal Advisory Committee Vice –Chair and Board Member,
- Anti Defamation League – Regional Associate National Commissioner,
- Anti Defamation League- National Glass Leadership Institute,
- ADL, Southern California Region, Co-Chairman, 2010 – 2011
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Loyola Law School Environmental Moot Court Team, Coach
- Loyola Law School – UCLA Williams Institute Moot Court Team, Coach.
- California Academy of Attorneys for Health Care Professionals, Member
- Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Bar Association
- Administrative Law, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, Adjunct Professor
Areas of Practice
We protect clients during every stage of the professional license defense process and in Administrative Law. We represent professionals and businesses whose licenses are at risk due to a criminal conviction or substance abuse problems, as well as those who are alleged to have violated standards of care or a trade standard within their profession, which is also referred to as gross negligence or incompetence.
- Professional License Defense
- Nurse License Defense
- Doctor/Physician License Defense
- Psychologist License Defense
- Administrative Law
- Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Licensed Vocational Nurse Licenses
- Dentist and Dental Assistant Licenses
- Chiropractor Licenses
- Pharmacy and Pharmacist License
- Mental Health Professionals
- Real Estate License Defense
- Insurance License Defense
- Construction (CSLB) and Structural Pest Control Related License
- Automotive Related License
- Teacher, School, and Daycare