Consequences of Out of State License Discipline

It is common for professionals licensed in California to also hold licenses in nearby states, but what happens to your California license if a license you hold in another state is disciplined?

Many people incorrectly assume that because the licenses are in different states, disciplinary action against an out of state license cannot affect their ability to practice their profession in California. As a result, they fail to report the disciplinary action, only to face serious problems with their California license.

Let’s review the regulations regarding out of state license discipline, so you know when you need to speak with a licensing attorney.

Disclosing Discipline Against Your License

If your out of state license is facing suspension, revocation, probation, or any other form of disciplinary action, depending on the type of license, you may have to report it to your California licensing board. In some cases, you have just 30 days to report the out of state discipline. You should immediately consult a professional licensing attorney like Scott J. Harris.

Any discipline against your license is public information, and all licensing agencies report license suspensions and revocations to other states, often through national databases. This means it is not a question of if the California board will be notified, but when. In some instances, it is best to self-report even if the law does not mandate the reporting.

Disclosures on License Applications

If you hold an out-of-state license and are applying for a professional license in California for the first time, but disciplinary action has been taken against your existing license, you will need to disclose the disciplinary action against you on your California license application.

If this results in your license application being denied, a good licensing lawyer can help you request an administrative hearing and contest the denial. In addition, as a licensed professional in California, you must also report any disciplinary action against your license when you apply to renew your license.

Next Steps to Take

Ideally, before disclosing the discipline against your license to the California board for your profession, it is in your best interest to seek help from a California licensing attorney. If you have already disclosed the discipline, however, there is still time to get legal help, but it is best to do this quickly as the process can happen very fast.

As soon as you notify the California board of your out-of-state discipline, the board will start an investigation. As part of this process, they may issue a formal Accusation, also seeking discipline against your license. By having a lawyer by your side, you are more likely to be able to keep working in California by keeping your license with restrictions.

Scott J Harris has helped many licensed professionals keep their licenses even after disciplinary action in other states. He offers free consultations and can help you better understand your rights as well as the best steps to take to return your license to good standing.

For a free assessment of your case, contact SJ Harris Law to discuss your case.

sjharris footer logo

When dealing with these complex issues, you need legal representation that has a long track record of success in these types of cases. Scott Harris and the rest of our team at S J Harris Law will be ready to help you pursue any option available that allows you to keep your license and continue working, no matter what industry you are in.


© 2024 by S J Harris Law. All Rights Reserved. | Disclaimer | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Designed by Get Visible

Get a Free 30-Minute Consultation